A record 65 million people are currently displaced due to war and civil unrest. Germany plays a leading role in helping resolve this ongoing human crisis.
Inspired by Germany's example, SoFA Design Institute hopes to raise awareness that designers can help mitigate this and other calamities. We will do so by initiating an interdisciplinary competition titled, ”Designers United: Shelter for Displaced Humanity”.
The expertise of architecture and interior design is about shelter. Yet the output is often complex and heavy. Fashion design, being quick and lively - results in physically light, technically appropriate and culturally evocative solutions.
This competition asks: Can architects and interior designers collaborate with fashion designers to
envision superior shelter for displaced persons? Melding these unique perspectives may lead to new thinking.
The output of the competition will be compelling shelter prototypes which can be presented to NGO’s for possible adoption in crisis areas.
Young Philippine designers and design students will be selected to participate in an intensive design studio sponsored by the Goethe Institut and conducted by SoFA Design Institute. German designers will join local teachers via digital meeting technology to insure a culturally integrated perspective.
The competition will culminate in a public event where German and Philippine experts will discuss the role designers can play in disaster mitigation. In addition, German and Philippine designers will join forces to evaluate the student work. Cash prizes will be awarded to the winning teams.
COMPETITION RULES & GUIDELINES
1. Applicants must completely fill out the Application Form, which is available at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209), or upon request over e-mail email@example.com).
2. Applicants must submit the accomplished Application Form along with the following attachments:
- - Design portfolio – collection of design work in which the applicant is either the sole creator, or at the least, a contributor; preferably design work related to his/her field of study
- - Copy of diploma (for graduates)
- - Proof of current school registration in the qualified programs (for 4th/5th year students)
3. Requirements can be submitted in digital or physical format from September 1, 2017 to September 20, 2017.
4. Deadline for submission of applications is on September 20, 2017, 6:00PM
5. Digital submissions should be sent to Zarah Dejelo at firstname.lastname@example.org . Accepted file formats are JPG and PDF.
6. Physical submissions should be sent to Zarah Dejelo, Business Development Office at SoFA Design Institute ((G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209).
7. The Dean and the Academic Chairpersons of SoFA Design Institute will review all qualified applications according to the following criteria:
- - Evidence of creativity (40%)
- - Expression of sufficient design exposure (40%)
- - Familiarity with technology of applicant's discipline (20%)
8. Shortlisted applicants will be notified via e-mail and SMS on or before September 27, 2017. A maximum of thirty-two (32) participants will be chosen from the pool of applicants.
9. Participants are required to attend ten (10) mentoring sessions to be held from October 5 to November 9, 2017 at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209), every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:00-9:00PM.
10. Participants will be mentored by handpicked industry professionals from the field of Architecture, Interior Design, Industrial Design, and Fashion Design.
11. Selected participants will be randomly grouped into pairs ensuring that each of the two (2) members of the team represent a different design field.
12. All teams will be presented with a problem statement relating to the theme of “Shelter for Displaced Humanity”. The mentoring sessions will revolve around helping each team create a design solution for the problem statement.
13. Each team’s final design submission must be completed and submitted to
14. the Academic Department Office of SoFA Design Institute on November 9, 2017, 9:00PM.
15. All submissions must be addressed to Monica Padilla-Leviste and Denise Ayado of SoFA Design Institute’s Academic Department. Entries received later than the deadline, or are deemed incomplete will be considered disqualified.
16. Final submissions must include the following:
- - Scaled plans, sections, elevations, rendering/s, and/or a physical model
- - Written description of the proposed design solution (minimum of 300 words)
17. All final submissions will be presented to and reviewed by a jury of five (5) voting members on November 17, 2017 (afternoon).
18. During the Jury Review, each team must prepare a 5-minute presentation explaining their proposed design solution. Presentation materials must be developed following these specifications:
- - Presentation boards must be limited to four (4), each measuring 30” x 40”
- - PPT/Keynote, and/or video presentations may supplement the physical presentation materials
19. After each team’s presentation, the jury will query the team for an additional five (5) minutes. After which, the jury will deliberate for another five (5) minutes before individual scoring.
20. The jury will evaluate the submissions and presentations per the established criteria upon a scorecard and will vote to determine the ranking for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.
- - Design Concept (35%) – the design solution is original, appropriate, attractive, and compelling
- - Technical Feasibility (35%) – the design solution can be executed with available materials and technologies
- - Presentation Quality (15%) – the presentation of the design solution is clear, elegant, legible, and convincing
- - Research (15%) – the design solution is predicated upon, and supported by research
21. An independent auditor will observe the tallying process and verify the winning entries.
22. The winning teams will receive the following prizes:
- - 1st Prize – PHP100,000.00 cash prize
- - 2nd Prize – PHP50,000.00 cash prize
- - 3rd Prize – PHP25,000.00 cash prize
23. Only one (1) team will qualify for each prize category.
24. An Awards Gala will be held on November 17, 2017 (evening), where all final submissions will be exhibited, and where the announcement of winners will be held.
25. Cash prizes will be released to the winning teams in check form. The check will be addressed to the name of the participant as registered on his/her Application Form.
26. Cash prizes will be split equally among the members of each winning team.
27. Cash prizes may be redeemed at SoFA Design Institute (Finance Office – G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209) until January 17, 2018.
28. To claim the cash prize, members of each winning team must present a valid ID, and acknowledge receipt of the cash prize.
29. All design submissions related to the competition will be deemed property of SoFA Design Institute. Details of which, and other information related to the competition, including participants’ names, may be used for promotions during and after the competition.
30. SoFA Design Institute employees and current faculty and their relatives up to their third degree of affinity or consanguinity are disqualified from joining the competition.
31. Per DTI-FED Permit No. 13611, Series of 2017.