GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR PARTICIPATION
1. The competition is open to architects and architecture students.
2. Applicants must be between the ages of 19 to 35 years old, and hold a degree in Architecture or be currently registered as a 3rd year to 5th year student in BS Architecture.
3. Applicants must be available to participate in three (3) full day mentoring sessions to be held in the following schedule within the corresponding cities:
- Davao Participants: June 3-5, 2019
- Manila Participants: June 13-15, 2019
RULES & GUIDELINES
1. Applicants must completely fill out the Application Form, which is available at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209), or upon request over e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Applicants must submit the accomplished Application Form along with the following attachments:
2.1 Design portfolio – collection of design work in which the applicant is either the sole creator, or at the least, a contributor; preferably design work related to his/her field of study
2.2 Copy of diploma (for graduates)
2.3 Proof of current school registration in the qualified programs (for 3rd to 5th year students)
3. Requirements should be submitted from April 01-May 10, 2019 in physical form- either through physical portfolio or digital format in USB.
4. Accepted digital file formats are JPG and PDF
5. Deadline for submission of applications is on May 10, 2019, 6:00PM
6. Physical submissions should be sent to Madeleine Constantino, Head of Student Affairs at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209) for Manila applications.
7. Davao submissions should be physically submitted to Ar. EJ Pasia, Davao coordinator at Katsu Country, GF Junction Building, 1059 Emilio Jacinto Extension, Poblacion District, Davao City or at EJ Pasia Furniture,2F Junction Building, 1059 Emilio Jacinto Extension, Poblacion District, Davao City.
8. The Academic Chairperson for Interior Design, VP for Academics, one industry professional, and a DTI representative will review all qualified applications on May 15, 2019, 10:00am at SoFA Design Institute. Applications will be judged according to the following criteria:
8.1 Evidence of creativity (40%)
8.2 Expression of sufficient design exposure (40%)
8.3 Familiarity with technology of applicant's discipline (20%)
9. Shortlisted applicants will be notified via e-mail and SMS between May 13-24, 2019.
10. A maximum of sixteen (16) participants will be selected for each city.
11. Assigned venue and schedule for the mentoring session will be based on the applicant’s drop off submissions
Eg. Participant from Manila submitting in Manila- Manila schedule
Participant from Manila submitting in Davao- Davao schedule
Participant from Davao submitting in Manila- Manila schedule
12. In the event that the shortlisted applicants are not available, the jury will choose the applicants next in line according to ranking.
13. In the event that the applicants’ ranking are in a tie, a representative from SoFA Design Institute will draw lots in the presence of a DTI representative.
14. Participants are required to attend three (3) full day mentoring sessions to be held in the following schedule within the corresponding cities:
- Davao Participants: June3-5 2019 (8:00am-5:00pm);
- Manila Participants: June 13-15, 2019 (8:00am-5:00pm); SoFA Design Institute, GF Enzo Building, 399 Sen Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City
15. Participants will be mentored by Architect Tobias Guggenheimer
16. Selected participants will be randomly grouped into pairs.
17. All teams will be presented with a problem statement relating to the theme of “Architecture for Reconciliation”. The mentoring sessions will revolve around helping each team create a design solution for the problem statement.
18. Each team’s final design submission must be completed and submitted to
the Academic Department Office of SoFA Design Institute on November 04, 2019 via Google drive link including a PDF/JPG file as well as a PSD file.
19. All submissions must be addressed to Denise Ayado (email@example.com ), Madeleine Constantino (firstname.lastname@example.org ), Nika Daffon (email@example.com) and Ellice Bucog (firstname.lastname@example.org) of SoFA Design Institute. Entries received later than the deadline, or are deemed incomplete will be considered disqualified.
20. Final submissions must include the following:
20.1 Scaled plans, sections, elevations, rendering/s, assembly details, materials, assembly process, design process, group number, title and/or a physical model (Physical models will be submitted to Denise Ayado on November 13, 2019 at 08:00 AM at SoFA Design Institute, G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209)
20.2 Written description of the proposed design solution (maximum of 150 words)
21. All final submissions will be presented to and reviewed by a jury of five (5) voting members on November 13, 2019, 10:00am, in the presence of a DTI representative.
22. During the Jury Review, the members of the jury will view the participants’ boards. Presentation materials must be developed following this specification:
22.1 Each board must measure 100 x 210 cm.
23. After the jury views all the boards, they will deliberate before individual scoring.
24. The jury will evaluate the submissions per the established criteria upon a scorecard and will vote to determine the ranking for the winner for each city.
24.1 Design Concept (35%) – the design solution is original, appropriate, attractive, and compelling
24.2 Technical Feasibility (35%) – the design solution can be executed with available materials and technologies
24.3 Presentation Quality (15%) – the presentation of the design solution is clear, elegant, legible, and convincing
24.4 Research (15%) – the design solution is predicated upon, and supported by research
25. A DTI Representative will observe the tallying process and verify the winning entries.
26. The winning teams of every city will receive the following prizes:
26.1 1st Prize: Php 50,000.00
26.2 SoFA Design Institute and Goethe Institut Philippinen will shoulder the 20% tax on prizes.
27. Only one (1) team will qualify for each city category.
28. An Awards Gala will be held on November 16, 2019.
29. Cash prizes will be released to the winning teams in check form. The check will be addressed to the name of the participant as registered on his/her Application Form.
30. Cash prizes will be split equally among the members of each winning team.
31. Cash prizes may be redeemed at SoFA Design Institute (Finance Office – G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209) until January 16, 2020.
32. To claim the cash prize, members of each winning team must present a valid ID, and acknowledge receipt of the cash prize.
33. All design submissions related to the competition will be deemed property of SoFA Design Institute. Details of which, and other information related to the competition, including participants’ names, may be used for promotions during and after the competition.
34. SoFA Design Institute employees and current faculty and their relatives up to their third degree of affinity or consanguinity are disqualified from joining the competition.
35. Per DTI FTEB Permit No. 5567 Series of 2019.