We are living within a transitional moment in history characterized by a changing definition of work and the workplace. One expression of that change is the popularity of co-work spaces. In the past, labor was often defined by the workplace: Office. Factory. Shop. Within the evolving gig economy however, jobs are becoming tentative and transactional. As some jobs become episodic and others obsolete, new occupations are emerging. This may therefore be the right time to imagine a future where we are released from the obligation of working in the same place, in the same way, every day.
SoFA Design Institute and Goethe-institut, the German Cultural Organization, invite young designers to speculate about the future of our working and living environments by joining our 2018 competition, CoLiveCoWork: Evolving the Interior Environment. This event will not only provide a chance to sharpen creative skills but also offer a significant cash prize to winning teams.
A P100,000 cash prize awaits the winning team while the runner-up teams will be awarded P50,000 and P25,000 respectively.
Who can apply:
The competition is open to designers in the fields of Architecture, Interior Design, and Industrial Design. Applicants must be between the ages of 20 to 30 years old, and hold a degree in Architecture, Interior Design or Industrial Design, or be currently registered as a 4th or 5th year student in any of the said programs.
Portfolio Submission: June 1 - July 31, 2018
Mentorship Dates: August 23 - September 28, 2018
Deadline of Final Entries: September 29, 2018
Final Jury: October 5, 2018
Design Conference and Awarding Event: November 16 - 17, 2018
INVITATION TO APPLY
Contact: Mads Constantino
Head of Student Affairs
+632 478 4611 or 22 loc. 128
+63 917 634 7579
RULES & GUIDELINES
1. Applicants must completely fill out the Application Form, which is available at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209), or upon request over e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2. Applicants must submit the accomplished Application Form along with the following attachments:
2.1 Design portfolio – collection of design work in which the applicant is either the sole creator, or at the least, a contributor; preferably design work related to his/her field of study
2.2 Copy of diploma (for graduates)
2.3 Proof of current school registration in the qualified programs (for 4th/5th year students)
3. Requirements can be submitted in digital or physical format from June 4, 2018 to July 31,2018.
4. Deadline for submission of applications is on July 31, 2018, 6:00PM
5. Digital submissions should be sent to Madeleine Constantino at email@example.com . Accepted file formats are JPG and PDF.
6. Physical submissions should be sent to Madeleine Constantino, Head of Student Affairs at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209).
7. The Academic Chairperson for Interior Design, two faculty members, and a DTI representative will review all qualified applications on August 3, 2018, 10:00am at SoFA Design Institute. Applications will be judged according to the following criteria:
7.1 Evidence of creativity (40%)
7.2 Expression of sufficient design exposure (40%)
7.3 Familiarity with technology of applicant's discipline (20%)
8. Shortlisted applicants will be notified via e-mail and SMS between August 6-17, 2018.
9. A maximum of thirty-two (32) participants will be chosen from the pool of applicants.
10. In the event that the shortlisted applicants are not available, the jury will choose the applicants next in line according to ranking.
11. In the event that the applicants’ ranking are in a tie, a representative from SoFA Design Institute will draw lots in the presence of a DTI representative.
12. Participants are required to attend twelve (12) mentoring sessions to be held from August 23 to September 28, 2018 at SoFA Design Institute (G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209), every Tuesday and Thursday at 6:00-9:00PM. They are required to also attend the final presentation and design conference on November 16-17, 2018.
13. Participants will be mentored by handpicked industry professionals from the field of Architecture, Interior Design, and Industrial Design.
14. Selected participants will be randomly grouped into pairs.
15. All teams will be presented with a problem statement relating to the theme of “ CoLive/CoWork: Evolving the Interior Environment. The mentoring sessions will revolve around helping each team create a design solution for the problem statement.
16. In the event that a participant of the mentorship program will back out from the competition after the first session, they are liable to pay the amount of Php 40,000.00 unless a valid medical certificate will be presented.
17. Each team’s final design submission must be completed and submitted to
the Academic Department Office of SoFA Design Institute on September 29,2018 12:00 NN via Google drive link including a PDF/JPG file as well as a PSD file.
18. All submissions must be addressed to Denise Ayado (firstname.lastname@example.org ), Madeleine Constantino (email@example.com ), Nika Daffon (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ellice Bucog (email@example.com) of SoFA Design Institute. Entries received later than the deadline, or are deemed incomplete will be considered disqualified.
19. Final submissions must include the following:
19.1 Scaled plans, sections, elevations, rendering/s, assembly details, materials, assembly process, design process, group number, title and/or a physical model (Physical models will be submitted to Denise Ayado on September 29, 2018 at 10:00 AM at SoFA Design Institute, G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209)
19.2 Written description of the proposed design solution (maximum of 150 words)
20. All final submissions will be presented to and reviewed by a jury of five (5) voting members on October 5, 2018 10:00am, in the presence of a DTI representative.
21. During the Jury Review, the members of the jury will view the participants’ boards. Presentation materials must be developed following this specification:
21.1 Each board must measure 100 x 210 cm.
22. After the jury views all the boards, they will deliberate before individual scoring.
23. The jury will evaluate the submissions per the established criteria upon a scorecard and will vote to determine the ranking for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize.
23.1 Design Concept (35%) – the design solution is original, appropriate, attractive, and compelling
23.2 Technical Feasibility (35%) – the design solution can be executed with available materials and technologies
23.3 Presentation Quality (15%) – the presentation of the design solution is clear, elegant, legible, and convincing
23.4 Research (15%) – the design solution is predicated upon, and supported by research
24. A DTI Representative will observe the tallying process and verify the winning entries.
25. The winning teams will receive the following prizes:
25.1 1st Prize – PHP100,000.00 cash prize
25.2 2nd Prize – PHP50,000.00 cash prize
25.3 3rd Prize – PHP25,000.00 cash prize
25.4 SoFA Design Institute and Goethe Institut Philippinen will shoulder the 20% tax on prizes.
26. Only one (1) team will qualify for each prize category.
27. An Awards Gala will be held on November 17, 2018.
28. Cash prizes will be released to the winning teams in check form. The check will be addressed to the name of the participant as registered on his/her Application Form.
29. Cash prizes will be split equally among the members of each winning team.
30. Cash prizes may be redeemed at SoFA Design Institute (Finance Office – G/F Enzo Bldg. 399 Sen. Gil Puyat Ave., Makati City, Philippines 1209) until January 17, 2019.
31. To claim the cash prize, members of each winning team must present a valid ID, and acknowledge receipt of the cash prize.
32. All design submissions related to the competition will be deemed property of SoFA Design Institute. Details of which, and other information related to the competition, including participants’ names, may be used for promotions during and after the competition.
33. SoFA Design Institute employees and current faculty and their relatives up to their third degree of affinity or consanguinity are disqualified from joining the competition.
34.Winners of previous Designers United competition are not eligible to join the competition.